Red Wine Poached Pears
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 225g castor sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- Fresh thyme sprig
- 6 pears, peeled but keep whole with the stalk intact
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the black seeds into a large saucepan with the wine, sugar, cinnamon and thyme. Cut each piece of vanilla pod into three long thin strips, add to the pan, and then lower in the pears.
- Poach the pears in the saucepan, covered for 20 - 30 minutes, making sure they are covered in the wine. Cooking time will vary depending on the ripeness of the pears. They should be tender all the way through when pierced with a cocktail stick. These can be made two days ahead and chilled until needed.
- Remove the pears from the pan, boil the liquid to reduce by half so that it's syrupy.
- Serve each pear with the cooled syrup, a strip of vanilla, Brandy snap cylinder, berry coulis and a sprig of thyme.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes